Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Rating System

So seeing how this is a blog about wine and things like that I figured I should rate them.  And as you will see with my first rating post, Casa Larga's Reserve Riesling,  I rate on a 1-7 scale. You may be asking your self, Court? why 1-7.  Well I'm going to let you in on something.  1-7 has a defined middle.... 4.  And the way I use my scale 4 is a very important number.  Its the base line, it's what I expect out of the wine.  So if I'm drinking a Riesling and I've read the bottle I am expecting A,B and C from it.  If I only get A, B, and C from it gets a 4. Its exactly what I expected. But if it brings more to the table, like D, then I might bump it up to a 5-7 depending on how much more I like it.   And conversely if I expect A,B, and C and I get let down, by only getting A and B, the score might fall in the 1-3's.  The great thing about this scale is its based on your, mine or who ever else wants to use its expectations.  So if you don't like Rieslings and you get exactly what you expected... Its still a 4.

So this is the system I will be using.  Feel free to comment on it and discuss it with me if you don't completely get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment