Saturday, October 9, 2010

Shinas Estates The Guilty: A Shiraz

After a wonderful tasting at Wine Sense I have returned with a bottle of Shiraz that was featured at said tasting!  This wine by maker Shinas Estate.   They only have three wines, The Guilty, The Innocent, and The Verdict.  Today the wine on the chopping block is THE GUILTY!

Cost: 18.99 Regularly - 16.99 Purchased during tasting.

Alcohol Content: 14.9% its a heavy hitter.

Appearance: A deep burgundy with slow drooping legs.

The Nose:  This wine has some great smells once I got it home and got it in to one of my glasses.  There was a little bit of dried leaves, also there was some toasty hints that came with a second good swirl.  The and hidden down there at the bottem was some black cherry and just a touch of nail polish (I think its from the high alcohol content.)

The Taste:  I loved this wine for the reason that the Aussies tend to have really spicy Shiraz and it can get out of hand in a hurry and this wine was light on the spice and big on the subtle flavors.  This wine had some bolder fruitiness to it which helped to balance out the spice that came towards the end of the drink.  Also this wine had some light tannins that resulted in the drying of the mouth.   Finally on taste there was some small hints of olives.

Rating: I give this Shiraz a 6/7 because I didn't expect this complicated of a taste from and Australian wine.

Final Comments:  When I heard this was a Australian Shiraz I was afraid of the over spicy flavor that comes with a lot of the wine that bears that name.  I was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety this wine brings to the table. I enjoyed this wine with a night tangy pork skewer and some buttered bread that played nicely with the little spice and tangy flavors in the wine.  All and all I was very impressed with this wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment